Back in August, (“Demand Your records“) I mentioned the effort to request, under the Freedom of Information Act, records relating to the TSA’s illegal data grab on Americans. In December, I got a response, and share a redacted copy here. All redactions are mine. (The whole process of redaction is remarkably difficult, but that’s a separate post. Feel free to try to defeat my “scan a magic markered copy” technique.)
Since I redacted what I’m sharing, allow me to explain what I’m choosing not to share. The number starting:
- …218 is my Delta frequent flyer number.
- …617 is the phone number I tend to use for such things.
- …3823 is my Diner’s club card.
- I appreciate being addressed by our civil servants as “Dear Shostack.”
- I am utterly stymied by the 12/31/89 19:00:00 apparent date. I know why I might have called one year later, but not in 1989. John Gilmore pointed out that that’s localtime for midnight, GMT, in both Boston (where I was) and Atlanta (where Delta was, and mostly remains).
The records: tsa-redacted.PDF
[Update: Fixed spelling. Thanks Samablog!]